One of the missions of First Presbyterian Church, Portage la Prairie, is to operate the community soup kitchen:
- Please note that the Soup Kitchen has been closed until the COVID 19 restrictions have been lifted.
- A temporary Soup Kitchen is operating at 234 Princess Ave on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
- Normally, the Soup Kitchen is open Mon. – Fri. from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- closed on most holidays
- In 2019 we served 9868 meals with January (702) being our lowest month and September (937) being our busiest month.
- Volunteers heat soup, prepare sandwiches, serve food and clean up
- It is a time commitment of about 3 hours (10:00 a.m to 1:30 p.m.)
- Most people volunteer one day a month
- For many of our volunteers, working at the Soup Kitchen is not only an opportunity to feed those in need but it is also a social time. They enjoy chatting together while they work. More volunteers are needed and welcome.
- Depends on donations of food and money.
- Much of the food is donated e.g. soup from Hutterite colonies, bread, buns & desserts from Co-op.
- Does have ongoing expenses e.g. coffee, tea, condiments, eggs, cleaning supplies.
- The Soup Kitchen requires approximately $19,200 per year for expenses.
- Cheques are made payable to” First Presbyterian Soup Kitchen”.
- Tax receipts are issued at the end of the year.
To inquire about the Soup Kitchen or to volunteer contact us at 204-857-4351.