This Week in First Church:
– Sunday, following the service – Choir practice
– Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. – Bible study, at Gwen’s home
– Wednesday, 1:30 p.m. – Women’s Missionary Society (W.M.S.) will meet
– Thursday, 1:30 p.m. – Prayer Time
– Sunday, 10 March – Daylight Savings Time begins
– Sunday, 17 March – Deadline for submissions for March NewsletterI
The Christian Year – Sunday is Transfiguration Sunday, the final Sunday of the Season after Epiphany. On this day, we commemorate Jesus’ transfiguration, which is recorded in Luke 9.28-36, as well as in parallel passages in Matthew and Mark. Like his baptism, Jesus’ transfiguration was an “epiphany” — an event in which his true identity as the Son of God was “manifested” or revealed. The symbolic color for Transfiguration Sunday is white, symbolizing joy and celebration; whereas the color for the rest of the Season after Epiphany is green, the color for ordinary time.
This Wednesday is Ash Wednesday, the first day of the Season of Lent, a season of preparation for the festival of Easter. The symbolic color for Lent is purple, symbolizing preparation and repentance.