THE 6TH SUNDAY IN LENT
10 April 2022
Welcome! We extend a warm welcome to our guests, and invite you to sign the guest book at the back of the sanctuary. Unfortunately, however, we are not yet able to resume our after-service fellowship time in the Church Hall.
This Week in First Church:
– Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. – Bible study, by Zoom
– Friday, 10:30 a.m. – Good Friday service
– Sunday, 17 April – Easter Sunday
The Christian Year – This week, the final week of the Season of Lent, is called Holy Week. During this week, we commemorate the events of Jesus’ Passion (suffering) in Jerusalem. The significant days in Holy Week are:
• Palm/Passion Sunday (today), which commemorates Jesus’ arrival in Jerusalem (see Luke 19.28-44 and the parallel passages in the other three Gospels)
• Maundy Thursday (also called Holy Thursday), which commemorates Jesus’ last supper with his disciples, his institution of the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper, his arrest in the garden of Gethsemane, and his interrogation by the Sanhedrin (the council of chief priests, teachers of the law, and elders) (Luke 22.1-65 and parallels)
• Good Friday, which commemorates Jesus’ interrogation by Pilate, his death on the cross, and his burial (Luke 22.66 – 23.56 and parallels)
The symbolic color for Holy Week is red, signifying blood, which reminds us of Jesus’ suffering and death — the sacrifice that allows our sin to be forgiven, making it possible for us to be reconciled to God and be adopted into his family.
Vacation – John Zondag will be taking two weeks’ vacation time from the 11th to the 24th of April, in order to travel to southern Ontario, to celebrate his mother’s 100th birthday on the 17th. Pulpit supply for the services that he will miss will be provided by our lay preachers, as follows:
– Raymond Reichelt – Good Friday (15 April)
– Charlie Clifford – Easter Sunday (17 April)
– Keith Kelly – The 2nd Sunday of Easter (24 April)
We thank Raymond, Charlie, and Keith for offering to lead those three services.
If a pastoral need should arise while John is away, please contact your elder, or Raymond (239-5359), to find out which ministers are available to assist you. John plans to be back in the church office on Monday, 25 April.
Full announcements here