This Week in First Church:
– Sunday following the service – Choir practice
– Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. – Bible study, at Gwen’s home
– Wednesday, 1:30 p.m. – Women’s Missionary Society (WMS). Please bring your January/February issue of Glad Tidings
– Thursday, 1:30 p.m. – Prayer Time
– Sunday, 10 February, 11:30 – Lunch, followed by the Annual Meeting
– Sunday, 24 February – Deadline for returning ballotsI
PWS&D – Today is PWS&D Sunday, the Sunday on which we highlight and pray for the work of Presbyterian World Service and Development, our national church’s relief and development agency. PWS&D works through ecumenical partner agencies to provide funding for both emergency relief and longer-term development projects all around the world. All of these projects aim to assist people in need in a variety of ways, as an expression of God’s concern and care. Because of government regulations, PWS&D receives no funding from Presbyterians Sharing; rather, it raises its funds separately. Last year, our congregation gave $715 to PWS&D.
A pamphlet on PWS&D is being distributed today. In the past couple of weeks, we distributed as well copies of PWS&D’s annual report for 2017, additional copies of which are available on the table at the south entrance. As well, copies of the Gifts of Change catalog are available from the pamphlet rack at the south entrance. Gifts of Change is a program that allows both individuals and groups to make donations to specific projects. Further information on PWS&D can be found online at www.WeRespond.ca.
Today’s sermon was written by Lara Scholey, the minister of St. Columba by the Lake Presbyterian Church in Pointe-Claire, Qué., and a past convener of the PWS&D Committee.