Due to current pandemic restrictions, our in-person Sunday services are suspended until the status of our Health Region returns to Orange. An abbreviated service will continue to be available on YouTube each Sunday, however. John will send out the link as soon as the service has been uploaded each week, hopefully in time for our usual 10:30 service time. Along with the link, he will continue sending out a full script of the service. The link will also be posted on this website
Scripture Readings – The readings for today’s service are
– Isaiah 64.1-9 – “Tear open the heavens, and come down!”
– Psalm 80 – “Shepherd of Israel, hear us”
– 2 Peter 3.1-15 – “The day of the Lord”
– Mark 13.24-37 – Jesus’ second coming: “Watch!”
If we’re unable to have the Hanging-of-the-Greens service next Sunday, the readings for that service will be
– Isaiah 40.1-11 – “Prepare the way of the LORD!”
– Psalm 85 – “You, LORD, showed favor to your land”
– 1 Corinthians 1.3-9 – “Blameless on the day of our Lord”
– Mark 1.1-8 – The ministry of John the Baptist
This Week in First Church:
– Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. – Bible study, by Zoom
– Sunday, 6 December (tentative) – Hanging-of-the-Greens service (see below)
– Thursday, 17 December – Service of Remembrance and Hope, by Zoom
Newsletter – The December issue of the Newsletter is being sent out by e-mail to everyone on our e-mail list, and hard copies are being mailed this week to those who don’t have e-mail. Many thanks to Lisa Sneesby for putting the Newsletter together, and to Mardine Garnham for printing and mailing the hard copies!
Advent and Christmas – The current pandemic restrictions are leaving our worship plans for Advent and Christmas up in the air:
– The Hanging-of-the-Greens service was originally scheduled for next Sunday, 6 December, but it’s doubtful that we’ll be able to worship in person by then. If we are able to resume in-person services in time for either the 13th or the 20th, we’ll have the Hanging-of-the-Greens service on the first possible Sunday. Otherwise, we’ll have to forego it altogether this year, since it doesn’t lend itself to the recorded service format.
– There will not be a Communion service in December; it was originally scheduled for the 13th, and we will instead have a non-Communion service that day.
– Christmas Eve (Thursday, 24 December) – If we are still not able to resume in-person services by then, a recorded Christmas Eve service will be offered via YouTube, as we do for our Sunday services.